25 March 2020
Latest Advisory on COVID-19 (25 March 2020)
Dear SNBA Members,
1. The recent spikes in imported cases signals a new phase in the fight against COVID-19.
2. In line with the evolving situation, the government has decided to enforce stricter measures that would limit gatherings outside of work and school to 10 persons or fewer, and ensure that physical distancing of at least one metre can be achieved in settings where interactions are non-transient.
3. These measures will take effect from 26 March 2020, 2359 hours and will be in place till 30 April 2020. These are unprecedented times and we now need all to come together to combat this global pandemic.
4. We are aware of a number of nighlife operators that intend to host “farewell” events tonight in view of the impending temporary closure. Such acts undermine government efforts against COVID-19 and SNBA is not supportive of such activity.
5. I would like to remind members to adhere strictly to all government measures, to help control the spread of COVID-19 in Singapore.
6. In relation to the latest set of measures dated 24th March 2020, the government had imposed the following:
a. All bars and entertainment venues like night clubs, discos, cinemas, theatres, and karaoke outlets will be closed from 26 March 2020, 2359 hours till 30 April 2020.
b. Reduce operating capacity within the venue at any one time, so that the venue does not have more than one person per 16 square metres of usable space. Groups must not exceed 10 persons.
c. Disperse congregations and provide an environment that allows at least one metre physical spacing between patrons. These include queues and waiting areas. Operators are encouraged to offer services by appointment or through digital services where possible, to minimise queues. Crowds should be quickly dispersed.
7. Additional penalties may be imposed if the venues are found not to have adhered to these requirements. We understand from the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) that authorities will be stepping up on checks, starting this evening, and non-compliance will be dealt with accordingly. Hence, we seek your utmost cooperation to adhere to the guidelines as much as possible.
8. Social responsibility is critical in slowing the transmission of the virus. We need all members to play their part in the fight against COVID-19. We understand these measures are disruptive and require significant effort from all of us to adjust to them. However, we must all do our part to protect ourselves, our family and friends, and the people around us.
9. Members should closely monitor COVID-19 related developments and health advisories. Kindly refer to the government agencies’ websites (MOH – https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19; MTI – https://www.mti.gov.sg/Newsroom/Updates-on-COVID-19; STB – https://www.stb.gov.sg/content/stb/en/home-pages/advisory-on-covid-19.html) for more updates pertaining to COVID-19.
10. Stay safe, stay positive. Together, we can overcome.
Sincerely, Joseph Ong